Most types of home remodeling require permits. One of the questions window companies often get asked is whether or not window replacement requires a building permit. In this blog, Renewal by Andersen® of Denver addresses this and other questions about windows and building permits.
Why Do You Need Building Permits?
Many homeowners aren’t exactly thrilled with the thought of applying for building permits. Processing takes time, which can risk delaying the project if not done in time. Homeowners also balk at the processing costs. But there are many reasons why you should apply for permits when your project needs it:
- Compliance With Building Codes — Building codes exist to ensure your safety. Code-compliant buildings are less likely to cause accidents or during and after construction.
- Avoid Cutting Corners — Unscrupulous contractors tend to cut corners without building permits. Subpar materials can compromise safety and quality.
- Keep Your Insurance Valid — Insurance providers may refuse to cover non-compliant buildings.
- Maintain Your Home’s Value — Even if you’re not planning to sell your house, you probably wouldn’t want to lower its value.
Do Replacement Windows Require Building Permits?
Fortunately, the City and County of Denver does not require permits for getting new windows installed, provided that:
- Your property is not located within a designated historic district or is not a designated landmark itself.
- You’re not changing the size of the windows.
Planned structural changes, including changes to exterior sheathing, electrical components, and insulation, may also require permits.
Why Work With Professionals?
Setting aside the convenience of not having to build and install the windows yourself, leaving window installation to professionals ensure compliance with applicable building codes. Renewal by Andersen offers the additional advantage of providing custom window sizes, which means absolutely no resizing will be needed for the existing openings on your walls.
Our installers are also trained to make sure your windows will be properly installed, which ensures long-term performance, as well as energy savings. We put our utmost trust in our installers that we out limited warranties include a 2-year coverage on installation.